- May 24, 2020
- Posted by: Team EMeRG
- Category: Cardiovascular devices, Market Entry Assessment, Maternal & Infant Care
Our Client: A global medical technologies firm with specialization in ICU and OR medical devices
Challenge Statement: Our client was looking to assess the overall attractiveness and market potential for select medical devices across six major African markets including Morocco, South Africa, Nigeria, Kenya, Algeria and Egypt.
- Using our proprietary HospeTrack dataset, an in-depth customer segmentation for various healthcare facilities was conducted at an account level
- Key need-gaps in terms of medical device installed base, as well as penetration of key devices such as mechanical ventilators, multi-parameter monitors, ECG units, anesthesia machines etc. was assessed using in-depth secondary research
- Detailed screening criteria were created in order to have adequate representation of the research across hospitals with separate purchase characteristics, infrastructure, personnel and medical device IB penetration
- In-depth interviews were conducted with ICU in-charge, Anesthesiologists, Medical officers (among other professionals) to assess need-gaps, challenges, frugal best practices etc.
- Discussions with channel partners of various medical device companies was conducted to understand their local approach, best-practices and efforts in terms of value creation in the respective regions
- Discussions with senior personnel within public sector decision making were also facilitated to understand the healthcare priorities and existing policies
- Detailed market sizing including assessment of local and global competition in each of the regions was conducted
Research Outcome: Our research helped create a detailed mapping of the current patient flow, the specific need-gaps across ICU and OR as well as maternal and infant care departments. Accurate market sizing helped our clients re-prioritize their sales strategies as well as overall sales channels. Existing need-gaps of the client’s customer base were correlated with some of the best practices implemented by various local distributors to create meaningful value-adds towards achieving customer delight.
EMeRG Value Add:
Market Knowledge: Profound connects across various hospital stakehoders in Africa as well as our past experience in conducting on-field research helped generate nuanced and granular understanding of the markets
Commercial Expertise: Understanding of the key motivators as well as tactical moves by distributors / channel partners in the region helped our clients make incremental improvements in their sales approach